TOP 10 Tips for Vegatarians/Pescetarians traveling to The Philippines

|
Traveling in a country where most of the people are meat-eaters can pose challenges for vegetarians or pescetarians. Filipinos are carnivores or heavy meat-eaters. Many Filipino dishes has meat, even their vegetable dishes contain a bit of meat. The scene is changing today as some Filipinos are trying to eat healthier or either being socially conscious of animal rights.

Here are some tips if you are a vegetarian traveling in the Philippines.
  1. Fast food chains and restaurants have now vegetarian/pescetarian options. You will more likely to find a wide variety of vegetarian friendly dishes in Chinese restaurants.

    Here is a list of local and western fast food chains in the Philippines

    • Jollibee - Yes, the Philippines is perhaps the only country in this world that McDonald's is not the No.1 fast food chain. Not vegetarian/pescetarian friendly. Once in a while there would be seasonal vegatarian friendly menu but they only last for a couple of months.
    • McDonalds - Salad is not a staple menu in the local McDonalds outlets.
    • Wendy's - A good selection of salads, fish and shrimp sandwiches. Some branches have salad bars.
    • KFC - Everything has chicken. LOL.
    • Chowking - A Chinese fast food restaurant owned by Jollibee. Has a few selection of seafood dishes. They have choices for some vegan friendly meals like tofu, stir-fried kangkong and other vegetables.
    • Kenny Roger's Roaster - Wide selection of dishes, salads and sandwiches.
    • Cabalen Buffet Restaurant - not a fast food chain but a local restaurant that offers buffet all day. Average cost is 300-400 pesos. Lots of local vegetarian cuisine options. Commonly found in major malls within the city of Metro Manila.


  2. Fruits & vegetables can be easily found in local markets. Be delighted by the wide range of fresh and delicious tropical fruits like mango, avocado, lanzones, durian etc.

  3. If you prefer to cook your food, you will be able to find meat substitutes from the following stores/markets: ( It is best to call them and check if they deliver within Metro Manila)


  4. You can go to a restaurant and request if the meat ingredients could be left out. Most restaurants would happily comply with your request.

  5. The higher you go up when traveling in the mountainous regions of the Philippines (e.g. Cordillera region) the less fish based dishes there will be and more meat-based food will be available. For the Cordillera region, you will be delighted to know that they are the largest producers of vegetables in the country, so expect an abundance of fresh vegetables.

  6. If you prefer to travel the off-the-beaten bath it's recommended to bring your own food. A loaf of bread and a bottle of fruit jam would let you survive in a day.

  7. Find local vegetarians and ask for more recent restaurants and tips, by posting in popular Philippine forums like: http://www.istorya.net and http://www.pinoyexchange.com

  8. Thank god for tofu. Tofu is widely available in many groceries, restaurants and small eateries.

  9. When being offered food that has meat, graciously decline. Say thank you for the kindness and explain that you don't eat meat. This is not being impolite, in fact your host will most likely cook something vegetarian for you ;)

  10. Some helpful links for vegan friendly restaurants:

    • http://www.happycow.net/
    • http://www.clickthecity.com/

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's all about fruits and vegetables although I'm not a vegetarian. Anyway, Philippines do really have a lot of several variety of fruits which makes it attractive for tourist.

Anonymous said...

It's tough to be a vegetarian tourist in the Philippines. I keep explaining that I'm not a rabbit - I need protein, too. My happy find: Lemurian Guesthouse in Manila. I'll never stay anywhere else again! Incredible pastas, curries, and sandwiches emanate from that kitchen. And if I want to try a "veganized" Filipino dish all I have to do is ask.

Anonymous said...

It's tough to be a vegetarian tourist in the Philippines. I keep explaining that I'm not a rabbit - I need protein, too. My happy find: Lemurian Guesthouse in Manila. I'll never stay anywhere else again! Incredible pastas, curries, and sandwiches emanate from that kitchen. And if I want to try a "veganized" Filipino dish all I have to do is ask.

Kate Johnson said...

Hello everyone, my name is Kate Johnson.I was able to hack my husband's phone remotely and gained access to all his team,ts and calls with the help of ghosthacker2351@gmail.com, he is reliable and trustworthy I've tried him and he did a perfect job.if you require his services tell him I referred you.

Anonymous said...

I will recommend anyone looking for Business loan to Le_Meridian they helped me with Four Million USD loan to startup my Quilting business and it's was fast When obtaining a loan from them it was surprising at how easy they were to work with. They can finance up to the amount of $900,000,000.000 (Nine Hundred Million Dollars) in any region of the world as long as there 1.9% ROI can be guaranteed on the projects.The process was fast and secure. It was definitely a positive experience.Avoid scammers on here and contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On. lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com if you looking for business loan,Thanks.
Leslie,

Anonymous said...

It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua cure Hiv,Herpes,Hepatitis,Diabetes,Copd,Fibroid,Als, And Cancer. He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

Kent said...

Retail Market is the process by which retailers promote awareness and interest of their goods and services in an effort to generate sales from their consumers. There are many different approaches and strategies retailers can use to market their goods and services chapalang is one of the online selling company that offer a retail for different products.


osman said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise Whats app) +917290857361 you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

Kimberly James said...

I rarely write reviews, but I had to for this! Because I tried several apps to help with no luck. Back then, I was very confused and always felt awful about my partner’s cheating attitude. I really wanted to track and catch him red-handed. I downloaded this app hoping it would help but I wasn’t satisfied with its features as I needed to monitor my partner closely. I then spoke with a trusted colleague of mine at work and she gave me a genuine recommendation about an ethical private investigator named Christopher Kevin, I wrote to his email at WIZARDBRIXTON AT GMAIL DOT COM explaining how I wanted to have complete access to his call log, iMessage/SMS, social media activities, gallery, texts, deleted or not, his precise location day in day out. I paid for his services and in about 2-3 hours, I had complete access to his phone. I got concrete evidence. it was unbelievable to see the evidence of cheating on me. Who likes to live with a cheater, I used the evidence I got to file for a divorce. I’m thankful to Chris for helping me out of my dilemma and suspicions. His services are highly rated and affordable. If you are having trust issues and need valid evidence, how about you contact WIZARDBRIXTON AT GMAIL DOT COM? Thank you Chris for an incredible job !! I highly recommend his services, simply the best.

Contact : WIZARDBRIXTON AT GMAIL DOT COM
Cell Number : (+) 1807234 0428

Post a Comment